Subscribe By Email OR Feed OR Bookmark and Share

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Snow Dust

We just had 1/2-inch of snow overnight, the featherweight fluffy kind. I positioned myself behind the garage in my secret, private spot to greet the sun rising. The breeze came up nearly imperceptibly at first, except for the sparkly snow dust it sent cascading off the branches. The dust ever so softly brushed my cheeks. We are in the upswing of a warming trend. The temperature is to hit the freezing mark in 2 days, so says the weatherman. But the animals seem to sense it. I observe the animal world waking up. First the squirrels. One silently traverses the top of the backyard fence and maneuvers the right angle at the corner to come closer. As a motionless sentry guard he eyes me the whole time I am present. On the opposite side of the yard and atop my big old oak tree, one of his kin moves in a ghostly manner across the stout, far-reaching branch to the very top of the adjoining evergreen tree, from which he hops over to a branch of the neighbor's tree. They do not make a sound this early in the morn, and yet all is not silent. I begin to pick up on little bird chirps and the very distant drill of a woodpecker. The breeze gradually strengthens to rustle the dried oak leaves that remain firmly attached through winter 'til new spring growth pushes them free. Aah yes, spring will be here soon. I return indoors, once again gently reassured and calmed by the nature around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Missing You Blogger Template